Hemorrhoid Treatment – The Natural Way
Conventional vs Alternative Treatment
The 3 management goals of hemorrhoid treatment include relieving the symptoms, arresting the worsening of the condition and preventing the recurrence of the condition. To these goals, we would add preemptive prevention of the onset of hemorrhoids based on the old adage that prevention is better than cure.
In traditional medical circles, there are 4 stages of assessment; immediate admittance to hospital where malignancy is suspected, possible admittance where there is acute pain (e.g. thrombosed external hemorrhoids and thrombosed prolapsed internal hemorrhoids),outpatient treatment (e.g. grade 1 or 2 hemorrhoids); intensive investigation (e.g. where conditions other than hemorrhoids is suspected).
Many people are comfortable going along this conventional path of hemorrhoid treatment. Well and good, if it helps them. We are not full-blown skeptics of big pharmaceutical companies and hospitals as we believe they generally do provide good medical care. However, conventional drugs often have side effects that we may not be apprised of even by the best of doctors as they truly believe that the cure is the main immediate goal.
Accordingly, our approach is always to examine alternative treatment together with conventional medicine. This is especially so if the alternative method is a natural way that has been tried and tested by fellow sufferers, including those who have already undergone conventional healthcare treatment. One such alternative to hemorrhoid treatment is the H Miracle.
Apart from conventional and alternative treatment, there are many things that you can do for yourself to avoid becoming a hemorrhoid sufferer or if you are already one, to alleviate your discomfort and prevent a worsening of the condition.
Cultivate this simple lifestyle habit – the balanced diet! Clichéd but nevertheless, true.
A major cause of hemorrhoids is excessive straining due to constant bouts of constipation. Accordingly, a major lifestyle objective should then be to ensure regular bowel movements comprising soft but bulky stools. This is easily achieved by including in our daily diet just 30 gm of insoluble fiber found in fruits and leafy vegetables and by drinking 8 glasses of fluid. Fluids, unfortunately, do not include those with alcohol and caffeine content!
Where these efforts do not yield quick results, you may also take plant-based fiber supplements. These include methyl cellulose (sold under trade names like Citrucel or WillPowder) which passes through the intestines undigested and absorbs large amounts of water to produce a softer and bulkier stool. Another high fiber supplement is psyllium (sold under the brand Metamucil) which acts similarly to smoothen bowel motion.
If you are already suffering from hemorrhoids or is recovering from hemorrhoids after conventional medical procedures, the daily regime of a balanced diet is an imperative step in your hemorrhoid treatment and recovery.
For the hemorrhoid sufferer, the next major routine that should become a personal habit is perianal hygiene. Perianal refers to the tissues surrounding the anus. After passing motion, these are essential steps to note:
- Avoid soaps with perfumes or dyes
- Avoid rubbing the anal region
– clean with the shower or bidet
– gently pat dry with a towel
- Blot dry the anus with
– damp toilet tissue
– baby wipes
– pre-moistened towelettes e.g. TUCKS Medicated Pads
– cleansing agents e.g. Balneol Hygienic Cleansing Lotion.
For pain and itch relief in hemorrhoid treatment, try one or all of the following:
- Apply ice (10-minute duration) several times a day
- Alternate with a warm compress (10-20 minute duration)
- Apply moist heat (using warm towels – tip: use a microwave) several times a day
- Soak anal area in warm water (15 minute duration) several times a day
- Take a sitz bath (warm tub of water with a tablespoon of salt added)
- Apply petroleum jelly or hemorrhoidal creams (e.g. Preparation H)
Other relief methods:
- Rest in bed – alleviates pressure on the inflamed hemorrhoids
- Avoid standing or sitting for prolonged periods
- Avoid lifting heavy objects
- Wear loose cotton undergarments to prevent moisture formation
- Do NOT use the famed doughnut ring cushion – by restricting blood flow, it aggravates swelling!
- Exercise regularly – just brisk walking is fine too
- No matter how busy you are, empty your bowels as soon as the urge occurs.
It is IMPORTANT TO NOTE that whenever any of the medicinal products mentioned above are used for hemorrhoid treatment , you should consult the pharmacist at the drugstore where you make your purchase or your personal doctor. This is especially if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, diabetes, urination difficulties caused by prostate gland enlargement or you are recently taking any prescription drugs.